The #Vanlife Cook w/ Urban Outfitters
The city skyline fades into the background after a few too many days of hustling and bustling. The ocean air pushes in from the coast, through the windows of the van and into our hair that blows freely. Elsa (the van) cruises along the Coastal highway heading North up Vancouver Island. The beach to the right of us is rocky and birds soar over it in the air currents. The fickle West Coast sun is rising into the crisp, clear sky.
We pull over and park Elsa next to a boat launch and put a pot of water on the stove to boil. I grind up some coffee while Mikaela gets to work prepping the fresh vegetables we scored from my sisters garden last night. Fresh tomatoes, jalapeños, greens, basil, and some locally sourced eggs from a farm down the road.
Once I'm done pouring the coffee I throw a wool blanket around my shoulders and stand next to the van taking it in. The calm morning ocean, the strong sun in my face and the freedom of being on the road. A wonderful way to start the morning.
Tomato Basil Eggs for Two
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped deseeded jalapeño - approximately 1/2 jalapeño
1 1/2 tablespoons minced basil - approximately 10 green or purple basil leaves
3 diced roma tomatoes
1/4 tsp sea salt - healthy pinch
1/4 tsp pepper - healthy pinch
1/4 tsp onion powder - healthy pinch
4 large eggs - scrambled in a bowl
1. Heat the olive oil in a warm pan over medium heat.
2. Sprinkle jalapeño, 1 tablespoon of basil, sea salt, pepper, and onion powder into pan.
3. Allow to heat for 2 minutes then add tomatoes.
4. Once the juice of the tomato has started to cook off, about 5 minutes over medium heat, add the scrambled eggs and remaining basil.
5. Make sure to stir the eggs so they do not get stuck to the bottom of the pan and reduce heat as eggs start to take shape.
6. Serve with toast if desired and enjoy!